Division 42 Committee Chairs
Please consider volunteering for one of our committees or projects, and contact the chair of the group(s) in which you are interested. Most tasks do not take up much time, and committee involvement is a great way to acquire in-depth perspectives on issues affecting psychological practice.
You will probably make new friends, too! 😀
Coordinator and Chair
Peter Oppenheimer, PhD
APA Governance Issues
Kevin Arnold, PhD, ABPP
Norm Abeles, PhD
Robin McLeod, PhD
Lauren Behrman, PhD
Forensics Committee and Conference
Steve Bloomfield, EdD
Andrea Kozak Miller, PhD
Shannon Nicoloff, PsyD
Marketing and Public Education
Linda Campbell, PhD
Judith Patterson, PhD
About the Membership Committee for APA Division 42
The Membership Committee is formed to recruit and support membership of the Division by:
- Keeping track of membership trends
- Making suggestions to the BOD regarding membership categories
- Establishing goals and initiating activities for increasing membership growth and fostering membership retention.
- Identifying diverse membership needs
- Making recommendations to the board and finance committee for changes in membership dues
- Proposing new benefits and initiating activities to engage members
- Conducting periodic membership surveys, as deemed appropriate, regarding membership needs and membership satisfaction
- Providing a mechanism for welcoming new members to the Division
The Committee is fortunate to have a dynamic and dedicated membership. Presently, the group is working on two main projects:
- Division 42 has many programs that focus on Early Career Psychologists, including an ECP committee and Mentorshoppe Program. In collaboration with the Marketing and Public Communications Committee and with APA staff, Membership is presently focusing on retention and recruitment of Mid-Career Psychologists. Short surveys will be sent to three distinct Mid-Career Groups in January: former 42 members, new 42 members, and current long-term members. The results of these surveys will assist 42 to adapt programs and services geared to mid-career members, to recruit leaders from this cohort and to provide CE that will meet their specific needs.
- The Committee is also in the midst of a joint Membership Marketing Project with APA. APA will assign in-house experts in graphic design and marketing to develop an email and print campaign for us. If this is successful, it can be expanded within APA. We have completed an initial data gathering phase and will focus on subsequent segments of the project in 2018.
If you are interested in working on this committee, contact Judith Patterson, Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Nominations and Elections Committee for APA Division 42
The nominating committee was charged with soliciting member nominations and then creating an election slate.
Members of the committee were Drs. Gerry Koocher (chair), Lori Thomas, and Terry Koller.
Practice Innovations Journal
Jeff Zimmerman, PhD, ABPP
About the Practice Innovations Journal for APA Division 42
Practice Innovations serves practitioners by publishing clinical, practical, and research articles on current and evolving standards, practices, and methods in professional mental health practice. Designed as a cross-disciplinary publication with a multi-theoretical scope, the journal supports innovation and the highest standards of care in mental health practice. Coverage areas include population-based practice issues, procedure or technique-based practice issues, diagnosis-based practice issues, and service delivery models.
Practice Innovations is actively soliciting manuscripts relevant to practitioner needs and interests. Manuscripts may include traditional research, but we will also welcome reviews, innovative service models, and other alternative presentations. They key focal point for successful manuscripts relates to promoting best practices and innovations in clinical, ethical and risk-management, or business of practice areas. Successful manuscripts will be high quality thoughtful contributions that can assist mental health clinicians in active practice. All manuscripts will go through our peer review process
Find out more about submitting a manuscript here:
If you have questions or need more information, please feel free to contact:
Jeff Zimmerman, PhD, ABPP, Editor
Veronica Bordes Edgar, PhD, ABPP
Publications and Communications
Terrence Koller, PhD, ABPP
About the Publications and Communications (P&C) Committee for APA Division 42
The Publications and Communications Committee (P&C) oversees the publications of the Division and all other media sponsored by and identified with the Division.
The P&C Committee is made up of six subcommittees:
- Social Media Committee (Lindsey Buckman: email@example.com & Derek Phillips: firstname.lastname@example.org) – Maintains Division 42 accounts at Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Committee members post information on Division 42 activities and events.
- Listserv Committee (Shannon Nicoloff: Shannonpsyd123@yahoo.com) – oversees the listserv and monitors the list for appropriate behavior, to ensure civil exchange among colleagues. Committee member have their fingers on the pulse of what is important to independent practitioners and can provide feedback to the Division 42 leadership about members’ needs.
- Independent Practitioner Newsletter Committee (Editor: Andrea Kozak Miller: email@example.com) – updates members on the activities of the Division, and publishes articles written by members. This committee is a great match for those who are interested in curating and editing content relevant to independent practice.
- Website Committee (Chair: Derek Phillips: firstname.lastname@example.org) – manages the website to ensure that the content is accessible and up to date. Committee members monitor content for accuracy and continually work to keep content fresh and engaging. They also work with other media committee members to help increase hits to the site.
- Practice Innovations Journal (Editor: Jeffrey Zimmerman: email@example.com)– our newest media outlet. This committee oversees the solicitation, review and publication of articles. The Journal is currently soliciting for editors for 5 special sections:
- Clinician’s Corner
- Multicultural issues
- Professional Development
- Marketing and Public Education Committee (Chair: Linda Campbell: firstname.lastname@example.org) – currently working on a survey of mid-career psychologists. Division 42 members who are interested in marketing and public education can make significant contributions to this committee.
New committee members are welcome for all the above.
For more information, contact committee chairs as listed.
About the Student/Early Career Psychologists (S/ECP) Committee for APA Division 42
Amy Van Arsdale, PhD (Co-Chair)
Sam Marzouk, PhD (Co-Chair)
Mission Statement and Goals
The Student/Early Career Psychologist Committee is dedicated to continually enhance the overall division 42 membership experience for students and early career psychologists through the provision of networking events, resources, and learning opportunities germane to the psychologist in independent practice. We strive to make sure all members of the division (primarily students and ECPs) have access to everything they need to flourish as an independent psychologist.
We provide regular learning opportunities for members via webinars. For example, professional web developer Rick Weiss presented a webinar covering the ins and outs of designing a website for one’s practice. Other webinars organized by our committee include Book Publishing While in Private Practice (by Dr. Gerry Koocher) and Expanding your Practice (by Dr. Mary Alvord). Additionally, our committee is in the process of putting together a document with a comprehensive list of resources (e.g., books, websites, etc.) relevant to independent practice.
How to Get Involved
We are always looking for new and fun members excited about our mission! Please contact either Sam Marzouk (email@example.com) or Amy Van Arsdale (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
TF Division Archive
Lauren Behrman, PhD
Member Engagement Workgroup
Elaine Ducharme, PhD, ABPP
Derek Phillips, PsyD
About the Website Committee for APA Division 42
The website operates as a public-facing invitation to Division 42, and as a members-only resource and institutional memory/archive for the Division. Editors manage the Div42 website to ensure that the content is accurate, accessible and up to date, working in close collaboration with other P&C committee members to keep content fresh and engaging, and to help increase the utility and popularity of the website’s offerings to members and to the general public.
Please contact Derek Phillips (email@example.com) for more information, to offer suggestions or critiques, and to volunteer content and/or editorial assistance.